Every year, humanity suffers from abnormal heat, floods, forest fires, and other extreme weather events. These are consequences of climate change. It affects people’s quality of life and will force the rebuilding of the settlement’s infrastructure in the coming years.
Ukraine is planning post-war reconstruction, so it is already necessary to integrate adaptation measures into post-war municipality development strategies. It is more effective to plan climate change adaptation measures at the stage of developing recovery plans than to rebuild infrastructure in 10-15 years. This will improve people’s lives and save money on reconstructing the infrastructure of settlements. It will be easier to find potential donors or funding for project implementation for municipalities with high adaptive capacity that are aware of and make efforts to overcome climate threats and challenges.
What we do
– Help municipalities conduct climate change vulnerability assessments and develop adaptation measures (consultations, trainings, webinars).
– Share information for communities about climate change adaptation measures already implemented around the world. We focus on measures implemented in similar natural and economic environments. We influence draft national documents, prepare position papers and propose solutions.
– Analyze the vulnerability of communities to climate change and develop adaptation measures as part of the preparation of Sustainable Energy and Climate Action Plans (SECAPs).
– The Sustainable Energy and Climate Action Plan (SECAP) of the Korosten community was developed and approved by the Joint Research Center of the European Union;
– We developed a study “Climate Change Vulnerability Assessment of Rivne Municipality and Recommendations for Adaptation Measures”.
– Together with the NGO Ecosense, we developed recommendations for climate change adaptation in Zaporizhzhia during the post-war recovery.
– We have prepared more than 20 articles on climate change adaptation measures.
How to join this activity
– Attend Ecoclub events.
– Contact the Ecoclub for consultation, initiate the development of a community vulnerability assessment to climate change and the development of adaptation measures.
– Disseminate information about the importance of climate change adaptation.
– Implement local adaptation measures in their households.
– Support local initiatives that implement local adaptation measures.
- Three reasons why municipalities should change the way they care for grass in citiesUkrainian communities have been working to rebuild even before the victory. Municipalities that implement climate change adaptation measures will find it easier to attract funding and find partners in the future. After all, including climate change vulnerability assessments and adaptation measures is a mandatory component of many European infrastructure projects.Changing approaches to mowing grass in […]
- Infographics: Ambition of Action Plans for Sustainable Energy Development and Climate of Ukrainian CommunitiesEcoclub has analyzed more than 150 Action Plans for sustainable energy development and climate of the signatories of the Agreement of Mayors. Read the summary of the study “Ambition of Action Plans for Sustainable Energy Development and Climate of Ukrainian Communities” via this link. This infographics was created within the framework of the project “Implementation […]
- Summary: Ambition of Action Plans for Sustainable Energy Development and Climate of Ukrainian CommunitiesEcoclub has analyzed more than 150 Action Plans for sustainable energy development and climate of the signatories of the Agreement of Mayors. Read the summary of the study “Ambition of Action Plans for Sustainable Energy Development and Climate of Ukrainian Communities”: This infographics was created within the framework of the project “Implementation of the dialogue […]
- Sustainable Energy and Climate Action Plans: Common Mistakes and Best ExamplesIn 2021-2022, within the framework of the project “Implementation of the dialogue between the central executive authorities (СEA) and local government bodies (LGB) on emission reduction issues”, the NGO “Ecoclub” conducted a study “The ambition of Sustainable Energy and Climate Action Plans of Ukrainian communities” (the presentation of the study took place on September 28). In planned renewable energy […]