The industry is a consumer of common natural goods: air, land, water resources, etc. Also, the industry is the largest producer of almost all types of pollution. Next generations have the same rights to clean air, drinking water, untouched forests, and other natural resources. Thus, each country should realize the value of a safe environment and build a structure that will meet people’s needs, improve their lives and protect the environment, including biodiversity.
We believe that following environmental goals is an essential background of industrial development. In 2019, when Kronospan Rivne LLC announced the construction of a woodworking plant near Rivne, Ecoclub analyzed a report of how the company will affect the environment. We wanted to ensure that Kronospan’s activities would be safe for human health and the environment, as Kronospan Rivne LLC would use common natural resources (forest, water, air).
We published our remarks on our website and the local mass media. Later Ecoclub received a lawsuit from Kronospan Rivne LLC. Local courts supported Kronospan, but the Supreme Court, Ukraine’s highest court, took the side of Ecoclub, emphasizing that the public has the right to criticize environmentally harmful activities and cannot be convicted.
During this campaign, we found out that the system of environmental impact assessment in Ukraine is imperfect and allows the construction of different factories, planning harmful activities: their environmental impact assessment reports show that emissions of hazardous substances will be exceeded.
Kronospan plant in Horodok amalgamated community near Rivne, Ukraine
What do we want to achieve with this campaign?
– safe operation of the new woodworking plant “Kronospancase” which is being built near Rivne.
– installation of air quality monitoring post in Horodok. The post will monitor the air condition round-the-clock and must be connected to the European network;
– compensation to inhabitants of Horodok (in case Kronospan Rivne LLC will harm human health and the environment).
– improving legislation on environmental impact assessment in Ukraine.
How to join Ecoclub in the campaign for a Safe industry?
– like the Ecoclub page and spread the news about the courts and the course of the campaign;
– create photos, videos, images;
– prepare information materials (letters, articles, interviews);
– assist in the organization of events and online activities;
– translate campaign materials into English.
Publications on the case:
+38 (067) 363-62-26, email@example.com
Ecoclub - Kronospan