Consideration of environmental protection goals is an important prerequisite for industrial development, especially during the post-war recovery. Environmental impact assessment (EIA) is a procedure that determines the possible hazardous impact on the environment and public health when making decisions on business activities (construction, reconstruction, technical re-equipment, expansion, repurposing, liquidation of facilities, other interference with the environment), taking into account state, public and private interests.
EIA is designed to ensure public participation in decision-making processes that affect the environment. However, before the war, this procedure was not working properly: it allowed the construction of enterprises that reported excessive emissions of hazardous substances in their EIA reports. During the war and postwar reconstruction, EIA was restricted.
Therefore, during the post-war recovery, a non-efficient EIA can delay and complicate construction, launch projects important to the state, and increase the risks of implementing potentially environmentally hazardous activities. Ecoclub believes that Ukraine needs to reform its environmental impact assessment system.
What we do
– Fighting for the right to a clean environment in Rivne Oblast.
– Developing a public air quality monitoring network in Rivne Oblast.
– Ensuring the right to open access to environmental information for the public (submits requests to the Ministry of Environment, Regional State Administration, potentially threatening enterprises to provide and clarify information on environmental impact, analyzes and publishes it in its own communication channels).
– Helping fight for the right of the public to participate in environmental decision-making processes (examines EIA reports on potentially environmentally threatening projects, engages the public in their study, submits comments and suggestions, and publishes the results).
– Informing municipalities about opportunities to participate in environmental decision-making processes (publishes information on planned activities of enterprises, informs how to get acquainted with documentation during martial law, disseminates information in the media about ways and opportunities for public participation in EIA decision-making).
– Analyzing the legal framework in the field of EIA, studies the peculiarities of its implementation and provides recommendations for improvement to government representatives (prepares studies/materials on the effectiveness of existing EIA legislation in Ukraine and abroad, draft laws in the field of EIA, sends letters with proposals and comments on the same).
– Preparing proposals for improving the EIA instrument in Ukraine.
How to join this activity
– Help prepare information materials (posts, articles, interviews).
– Assist in organizing and conducting events and online activities.
– Analyze, submit proposals and comments to environmental impact assessment reports of enterprises.
– Participate in the development of proposals to improve the EIA. To do this, write a letter to the Ecoclub’s specialist, Yulia Kvitka, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Publications on the case:
+38 (067) 363-62-26, email@example.com
Ecoclub - Kronospan